I just wanted to share the easiest and tastiest way I get some greens and seasonal veg into me during Autumn.
Yes, broccoli is in season and now’s the time to be hitting the green hard. Not just for the obvious greens-are-good-for-you-in-an-antioxidant-kind-of-way. Eating what’s in season is a vitamin pill not made in a factory by synthetic ingredients. And it’s tailor made for what the season calls. Lovely.
Chinese Medicine recognises a pungent quality to broccoli. This is especially good in Autumn – the time of the Lungs – where pungent qualities disperse Lung Qi (chee). That’s Traditional Chinese Med talk for boosting immunity. We’re seeing a lot of snuffles and “under the weather” in clinic this past week and so boosting that immunity is important if you can’t afford to get sick, or like me and just hate being slowed down by getting sick.
I also love to add walnuts. They’re incredible little tonics for our Kidneys, which is perfect to get them toned before winter, when they’re naturally more sensitive to the cold and can give us some grief with waning energy levels.
Here’s how I make Broccoli Soup:
1 x leek*, sliced into half moons
2 x stalks of celery*, finely sliced
3 x garlic* cloves, roughly chopped
1 x potato*, diced
2 x heads broccoli*, broken into florets and stalks diced
1/2 c. Walnuts*, lightly toasted
1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
salt and white pepper
- saute leek, celery and garlic with 1/2 tsp salt until soft and fragrant (about 15 mins)
- add in potato and broccoli stalks with another pinch of salt and saute with lid on for another 10 mins
- add in the florets reserving 1/3, cover with water, bring to the boil and simmer for 30 mins with lid on
- When veggies are soft, add walnuts and blend with a stick blender, check for seasoning and adjust, then add remaining florets of broccoli and cook for 5 mins until tender
- Finally, stir in the apple cider vinegar
- If you like, serve with crisp panchetta (organic) on top. Of course every soup warrants a side serving of crusty bread
Look after yourself,
Want to know why it looks like I salt so much? Visit here.